Saturday, December 10, 2011

Preserved Lemons

2nd Use From a Lemon and Salt to a Complex Seasoning

I was asked by some friends to start posting some recipes. My choice for this first blog was informed by need. I am running out of my lemon pickles that I use as an acidic salt substitute for green vegetables.

The source of this recipe was a travel show about Morocco and they talked about the preserving of lemons in salt. I am fascinated by the preserving of food as of late.

The process is easy, as always the most critical part of preserving food is fresh, blemish free produce and a very clean environment and utensils.

A dirty hand in the pot can ruin the lot.

I first found some very nice organic lemons. I chose organic in hopes of eliminating fossil fuel fertilizers and pesticides in the final condiment. I am guilty of having a bit of a carbon foot print due to shipping of the lemons but at least I am cutting out the fuel used to go to a processing factory.

Every wee bit truly matters, believe it or not.

Ingredients
Lemons, perhaps limes would be nice
Kosher salt
Very clean jars
Lemon juice 1:1 with water
Olive oil
Canning lid rings
Number 4 coffee filters (or any breathable material)

Process
As far as how much of the above materials you need, you must first decide how much pickled lemons you will use in a couple of months. I process four lemons for a family of 6. I want size of the containers (glass jars) that I process the lemons in to be such that I can compress the lemons to remove air space. 

I am putting two nice size lemons per pint jar


Soak the lemons in cold water for two days keeping them submerged.

On of my many sculptural kitchen projects
This process removes the bitter oils.

Nip off the ends and cut in quarters, but not all the way through.

Prepping lemons
Open up and pack with kosher salt.  I figure about 4 tablespoons per lemon.


Salted Lemons


Then pack them in the jars with a good deal of pressure.  This helps remove air space and expresses some of the lemon's juice.



Packed lemons ready for the fridge.

I then cover them with a torn-in-half #4 coffee filter and canning lid ring and place
in the fridge for a couple of days.

After a couple days in the fridge, top them off  first with a 1:1 mixture of water and lemon juice and then just a thin layer of olive oil, about 3 tablespoons.

They will be ready for use in about 4 weeks and last for several months if kept if the fridge. It is important to keep the lemons submersed in the brine, any lemon above the brine, fluid, is likely to mold over time.

Salt is seasoning one in the same. I use these lemons as salt--with the distinct advantage of using less salt--with the additional advantage of the complex flavors of the lemon.

We like it best chopped fine to puree and added to green vegetables such as broccoli,  asparagus, or perhaps collards. But it could also be nice with fish or in bread dressing oils; truly anything that lemon and salt would enhance.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please contribute!