Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Garrison

 

Garrison Roots


Today-December 21, 2011 at 4:00 AM I lost my chosen big brother to pancreatic cancer.
When Garrison first told me he had terminal cancer about five years ago, it was quite the shock.
That night when I got home I tried to process the news as I generally always do, through playing music.  I play the banjo as a meditative practice; I have never been much interested in performing. So when I came home that night five years ago I picked up the banjo and started playing.
This tune came to me then, and I have played and developed the melody for these perfect years that I have since shared with Garrison.
This recording is the first time I have played it as a reflection of Garrison’s life. The song is not sad but instead is joyful—in celebration of his life.
I wish to share it with all that knew him, to honor his courage and accomplishments.
I played and recorded this tune in my kitchen were I have always played it.
Song Title: Reflection of His Spirit

3 comments:

  1. Love it! Thanks Bill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jared.Markowitz@colorado.eduJanuary 25, 2012 at 12:02 PM

    Beautiful song. You and garrison have been the biggest help to me!!! Thanks, song makes me smile...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bill - this is definitely an uplifting tune. Garrison would have liked it - Shelley

    ReplyDelete

Please contribute!