Saturday, September 17, 2011

My Shaman



2ndUse Chance Meeting to Ancient Wisdom

I was out working on my beginning kitchen garden when I noticed a man on an old newspaper delivery bike coming up the street.

We made brief eye contact and I noticed him circling back and, stopping. He got off the bike and let it rest on the ground, and sauntered up to me. I noticed immediately that he was Native American in heritage, which is a bit unusual in my area.

He said, looks like you are doing some farming, I used to farm.”

What a gift, someone that shared my interest, which is a bit unusual, in that I chose to grow produce in my front yard.

I gave him the tour. He didn’t say much but I knew he was listening.

As he left on his bike the same direction that he came from he shouted over his shoulder, remember you must first feed the animals.”

I didn’t give this gift much thought. I mean, come on, I live in the city.

I have been humbled seeing the squirrels, skunk, raccoons, and a plethora of insects go after my crop. I have been amazed learning the roles of the microbes, worms, and ‘bugs’ in the soil. I have learned to feed and attract predators to my yard to control pest.

He was right, ‘my Shaman’- you must first feed the animals.

This is the first feeding station, a bird feeder, from my daughter Maddie's drawn designed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please contribute!